Author(s): Camilla De la Bedoyere
100 Facts Spiders is bursting with fascinating images, fun activities and exactly 100 amazing facts. Children will learn everything they need to know about these eight-legged creatures.
100 Facts Spiders includes key topics about many species of arachnids with exciting numbered facts. Each fact is accompanied by beautiful illustrations and photographs, which add visual meaning to the information for kids. This is a fantastic spider book for kids aged 7+ who are intrigued by these creepy crawlies.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Spiders:
- All of the species in the arachnid family including tarantulas
- Making silk threads and building a web
- Their constant battle for survival and catching prey by stealth
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- Female spiders are usually bigger than males. If a male tries to mate with a female who isn't interested in him, or who has already mated, she may treat him like prey and swiftly eat him
- If a young spider loses a leg or two after being attacked, it can grow new ones
- Brazilian wandering spiders have the largest venom glands of all spiders. They have enough venom to kill 225 mice.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
- Make some creepy crawlies from an egg carton and pipe cleaners. Use coloured pens to decorate
- Quiz question: What are a spider's silken threads made of?
- Ask an adult to prepare a meal that you can eat using your fingers. Wearing a blindfold, see if you can identify each food using only your senses of touch, taste and smell
Author: Camilla de la Bedoyere
Consultant: Steve Parker
Dimensions: 9 X12
Format: Paperback with holographic foil